Hello, Crafty Internet!
When I started this project, I stumbled upon a theme I hadn’t realized I was creating. It’s funny how projects can change and evolve without you really realizing it until you’re hip deep in paper piecing. I went back and made some changes to this project I had posted last week and am very happy with the results.
I am a huge fan of Vicky Papaioannou and her blog Clips-n-Cuts. She had a video series of art journal pages she created using Penny Black flower stamps. I watched them a while back but the inspiration remained lurking in the background waiting for me to get it together. If you have not heard of Vicky and her blog, I encourage you to check out her blog and video tutorials. You will not be disappointed.
On to the project:
I started out with water color paper, Bo Bunny Wall to Wall stamp set, and my Inktense water color pencils. I stamped the image onto the paper with Ranger Archival ink in black. Archival ink is great for watercolor because it will not react to the water.
I really liked the result of the background. What I thought was a gray pencil was in fact a lovely blue and since blue is my favorite color, I went with it.
My next task was to stamp the flower image on the background and since I decided to do more paper piecing, I stamped it twice more onto watercolor paper. I decided I wanted to add more dimension to this project than the last one.
I used my color wheel to pick the color for the flower and at first I wasn’t sure about it. Once I started putting it together, I realized it had worked out pretty well.
This is where the inspiration struck for a series of these panels to frame and I went ahead and cut out the three words needed to complete the set.
I did some shading with my Faber Castell Big Brush Markers.
The final result of the paper piecing and shading attempts. I used foam squares to pop up parts of the flower I wanted to accent. I added a border around the image since the first panel had a border and I wanted to give them something in common.
I used these very thin strips of foam tape to attach the letters to the panel. I think this came in a Simon Says Stamp card kit a while back.
And here is the final result. I really love how this worked out. For a finishing touch, I took my my purple big brush marker and white gel pen for the little buds on the flower. I added a sticker from the Tim Holtz Small Talk sticker book.
I used my T ruler to try to get the letters on straight and they are still off a little bit. I think I notice it because I stared so hard at it and I’ve decided to leave it as is.
Here are the two projects together. They are 4 x 6 panels so they will fit in a frame easily. I plan to put them in matching frames once I get the third panel completed.
I am really enjoying this project. My thanks to Vicky Papaioannou for providing the inspiration.
To see how I created the first panel, click here.
Please let me know what you think in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by!