Art Journal, Mixed Media

Chipboard Journal Cover

Hello again, Internet!

I decided to go ahead and decorate the cover of my chipboard journal after I had completed the first page. Usually, this part isn’t done until the entire journal is used up, but since this journal is kept together by a couple of easily removable ring clips, I decided to go ahead and see the cover finished.

This is what I started with (Translation: I forgot to take an ingredients pic):

 Cute huh? I loved the texture but ended up covering it.

Okay, so I gessoed it up and started playing around with colors.

I grabbed a crackle stencil and used texture paste to add some dimension. After that dried, I used a mixture of Distress Stains (Walnut Stain, Antique Linen, and Vintage Photo) and Momento Tuxedo Ink to color the background. I just carefully rubbed the Momento ink pad across the raised texture and went around the edges with it. I had the chipboard letters in my stash and used the Antique Linen to color them and used Vintage Photo to add some splashes. I then took some Antique Linen and splashed it onto the cover.

This is where the true fun in this project began: Choosing and laying out the elements I wanted to use. For those who have read previous posts, you realize this is where I began to have doubts because composition is a huge struggle for me. I think I’m getting better with each project, but it still feels like nothing wants to come together until I’ve battled with it for what seems like years.

This is a first go around to figuring out what I should use. I have a large box of flowers and when I was at Michaels, I bought more flowers because those in the box were lonely. I don’t know how to use them so they have built up over time. Anyway! The flowers I used here came from the $2 rack where various and sundry items were stocked. The brand is Craft Smart and they came in a pack of 8. I don’t know if this is a seasonal thing but most of the items there had Fall colors or Fall themes. I don’t have a Michaels in my town so I  don’t get there often enough to know for certain.

I also have a box of die cuts that are sort of extras; extra pieces of this thing or that one that didn’t work so I kept them for future projects. I dug out those leaves and decided they would add some much needed color to the cover.

I used a combination of the Shabby Shutters and Pine Needles Distress inks with some Walnut Stain thrown in to cut down on the brightness of the green.

 

I wanted to add more interest to the cover than just flowers and paper leaves so I added some of the Finnabair Melange Art Pebbles by Prima and used some of the Micro Beads in bronze, also by Prima, on the flowers. The chipboard letters seemed to be flat and uninteresting so I added Glossy Accents to help them out. I let all of that dry and stared at it for a good long while because it wasn’t finished in my mind. It needed something more but as usual, I was stumped.

I started figuring out what was missing when I grabbed some white acrylic paint and made some splashes on the whole thing. The Antique Linen splashes just weren’t cutting it. It was starting to look better and then I remembered my Liquid Pearls in Onyx Pearl and added some. They don’t show well in the picture but they look nice in real life. The butterfly came from a pack of laser cut butterflies from Bo Bunny. I covered it in the same white paint I used for the splashes.

And I find I am happy with it.

One more thing: If you liked this project, please let me know in the comments below. If there is something you’d like to see more of or a suggestion, please leave me a comment. I am working on figuring out how to get the newsletter thing happening so while there are none going out now, I hope to have that ready soon.

Happy Crafting!

Sarah

Tagged

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *